About Our History

Rudy Pape, founder of Rudolph’s Shoes, started as a sales clerk for Sampson’s Shoes in Sheldon, Iowa. Later he and his wife, Marion, managed his first store in Fergus Falls, Minnesota. They then returned to Sheldon and managed the store there. Upon the death of Mr. Guy Sampson in 1962, Rudy bought Sampson Shoes renaming it Rudolph’s Shoes. Today Rudolph’s operates a store in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and a store in Sioux City, Iowa.

Scroll down to see our timeline

1953

1953

Rudy Pape sells his first pair of shoes as a sales clerk for Sampson’s Shoes in Sheldon, Iowa.

1962

1962

Upon the death of Guy Sampson, Rudy Pape and wife, Marion, purchase Sampson’s Shoes in Sheldon, Iowa renaming it Rudolph’s shoes.

1970

Rudolph’s expands to Western South Dakota and opens a store in Rapid City; the store is managed by Leroy Van De Stouwe.

1974

Van De Stowe Purchases the Rapid City store and continues to operate it today.

1980

1980

Rudolph’s Shoes opens a men’s and women’s footwear store in the Southern Hills Mall in Sioux City. At this time Rudy and Marion were joined by their eldest son, Mike, who is Owner and General Manager today.

1995

1995

Rudolph’s expands to Sioux Falls, South Dakota and is currently managed by Heath Bills and staff.

2000

2000

Rudolph’s of Sioux City moves to a free standing store outside the Southern Hills Mall and has been managed by Rae Marie Pendergast since 1980.

2007

2007

The Papes open Rudolph’s Sister store, New Balance of Omaha, offering Omaha’s largest variety of New Balance footwear and apparel.